High blood pressure is also called hypertension. Our blood pressure means the amount of pressure on the walls of our blood vessels. Too much pressure slowly damages our heart and our blood vessels.
We meet many people with high blood pressure. Often people only discover they have high blood pressure when they go for a medical checkup. Fortunately, a blood pressure test is quick and painless.
Effects of high blood pressure
High blood pressure can lead to:
- coronary heart disease
- heart attacks
- kidney disease
- eye damage
- erectile dysfunction
Causes of high blood pressure
Risk factors of high blood pressure include:
- too much animal based and processed foods
- lack of exercise
- too much alcohol
High blood pressure takes much of the fun out of life. We lose our vitality. Medicines can be used to reduce blood pressure, but the medicines can have serious side effects, such as:
- Diarrhea or constipation
- Dizziness or lightheadedness
- Erection problems
- Lack of energy
- Nausea or vomiting
- Skin rash
Fortunately, the same wholistic changes that enable us to avoid or reverse other health risks also help with high blood pressure. These changes include:
- Eating more whole plant foods, including more raw food. Recent research suggests that fully plant based diets may be the best – for example, veggies, legumes, and ground flax seed may be especially good
- Doing regular exercise
- Paying attention to our weight
- Reducing bad habits, such as sitting too much and drinking too much alcohol
Unfortunately, for many people, making these changes is not easy. George’s mother had high blood pressure. She was well-informed about how to reduce blood pressure without medicine, and she did many things right: she was active and exercised regularly, was not overweight, and drank alcohol very moderately. However, sadly, she did not want to cut her consumption of animal based foods.
The information shared here is for educational purposes only.
These opinions are not given as medical advice and not intended to replace or conflict with your decisions or healthcare providers’ advice.
2. “High blood pressure dangers: Hypertension’s effects on your body” www.mayoclinic.org Jan. 09, 2019
3. Michael Greger. “Flashback Friday: How to Treat High Blood Pressure with Diet” NutritionFacts.org Apr 19, 2019
4. “High blood pressure medicines” Medlineplus.gov
5. “Beyond meatless, the health effects of vegan diets: findings from the Adventist cohorts” www.ncbi.nlm Nutrients. May 27, 2014